On today’s podcast episode we dive into everything you need to know about hiring a VA from the Philippines and how to (regardless of where they’re from) work with a VA the right way, and I’m joined by my friend (and the owner of the Agency I personally use), Michelle Abitria.
I have been working with virtual assistants in my business since 2019 when I decided to no longer upload and edit my own podcast or do my own Pinterest marketing and honestly – one of the biggest lessons in working with a virtual assistant is that it doesn’t just take time to train a VA – it also takes time for you as a business owner to learn how to effectively use a Virtual Assistant – and this is a skill we’ve also supported our Well Conceived Mastermind Members with because once you’ve got the process right and have learned to be an effective leader, this is when you start to really remove things from your plate.
When I first started hiring virtual assistants – I used sites like Upwork, and I also hired people from within my community. Full disclosure that when I started I had concerns with hiring people from countries outside Australia and United States because:
I was worried about whether it was ethical to hire people from countries like the Philippines
I was worried about whether there would be a knowledge or language gap
I was worried about whether I’d spend all of my time training people
But…. when my last VA left and I was looking for a new one – my Mastermind Mentor at the time – Angela Henderson recommended Michelle who was also within her circles and I was blown away by the Agency Michelle runs.
From the get go with the Outsourcing Crew, I was determined to be an effective leader, and so really focused on training and welcoming Phebe well and now have also hired Kate who recently joined us, and these two ladies are my ride or die – honestly.
In today’s episode I talk to Michelle openly and candidly about what it’s like to hire a VA from the Philippines, how to effectively onboard your VA, where most people go wrong – and loads of other juicy tidbits (and behind the scenes of my business).
Tune into today’s epsiode and let me know what you think.
Any links mentioned in the show
Entrepreneur I Change Maker
Born and raised in Manila’s bustling slums, I defied the odds and pursued a degree in Civil Engineering with unwavering support from my incredible parents. Escaping my challenging background, I embarked on a remarkable journey that took me from Dubai to New Zealand and eventually to Australia.
With less than $500 in my pocket, I took a leap of faith and landed in Dubai, shattering gender norms while carving my path in the construction industry. After three years in New Zealand, I was blessed with an opportunity to work in Australia, where I excelled as Chief Cost Estimator for high-value tenders and projects worth over $1 billion.
Simultaneously, I nurtured a passion-driven side hustle that blossomed into a thriving business, employing a team of 45+ people in the Philippines. My story represents humble beginnings, breaking barriers, and transforming from an aspiring engineer to an entrepreneur.
My mission and advocacy: Empowering women & LGBTQ communities in developing countries by upskilling and providing them with sustainable job opportunities, so they can achieve financial independence while helping business owners thrive. It’s a win-win situation that fuels my passion for creating positive change.
- From Side Hustle to 6-Figure Business
- Empowering Business Owners with Virtual Assistants: Unlocking Growth and Efficiency
- The Power of Remote Work: Nurturing a Thriving Virtual Workforce
- Designing a Life of Freedom, Flexibility, and Purpose through Entrepreneurship
- Profit and Purpose: Creating a Business with Impact
- Entrepreneurship and business growth
- Overcoming adversity and breaking barriers, working in male-dominated industries.
- Giving back to the community
- The Clever Copywriting School
LINKS + WORK WITH ME
- Free Case Study – How we got 1500 launch-ready email subscribers in 3 weeks
- Get a 30 Day Free Trial of Kartra – our Course, Email and Funnel Software
- Swipe our Manychat Setup (and our Instagram Story to Subscribers Sequences + more)
- Want to launch an online course? Jump on the waitlist here.
- Work with me in the Well Conceived Mastermind
- 1:1 Coaching
- Daily tips on growing your audience, impact and revenue (without sacrificing your life): @robynbirkin